Cal 1796 - 1866 (~ 70 years)
||David Millar |
||CALC 20 Nov 1796
||, Dundee, Scotland [1, 2]
||Galt (Cambridge), Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada 
||Wilmot Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada 
|Eby ID Number
||29 Dec 1866
||near New Dundee, Ontario [1, 2]
||Rosebank Community Cemetery, Wilmot Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada 
||14 Aug 2022 |
||Alexander Millar, b. 1766, of, Scotland , d. 1828, Lewiston, Niagara, New York, United States (Age 62 years) |
||Janet Gourlay, b. 1769, d. 1822, Lewiston, Niagara, New York, United States (Age 53 years) |
||22 Mar 1790
||Dundee, Forfar, Scotland 
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
||Margaret Henderson, b. CALC 30 Apr 1806, , Scotland , d. 22 Jan 1865 (Age ~ 58 years) |
||30 Jan 1836
||Galt (Cambridge), Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada [3, 6]
||14 Aug 2022 |
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
- King Street - Queen to Benton
Queen to Benton Street.-A few feet back of King Street and about 15 feet from South Queen Street was a vaulted cellar built of field stone by Peter Rebscher in 1838-39. In 1855 Sheriff Davidson bought this cellar from Paul Schmidt. He erected a frame building extending from the corner, partly using material brought from a former building at New Aberdeen, a village about five and one-half miles southwest of Berlin, where he had also a store business. Jacob Stroh helped to lath the building, receiving 75c as a day's wage. The new building was called The California Block and contained several stores. George Davidson, son of the Sheriff, occupied the corner store as a Grocery and Dry Goods business. Next there was a shed with outside stairway leading to a dance hall above it. The shed was used by the guests of Schmidt's Tavern known as the banners Inn. In the rear of the shed there was a brewery operated William Rebscher, who started to brew about 1830. The process of the Rebscher brewery was to soak the grain for 24 hours, then spread it on the cellar floor and shift it around until it commenced to sprout, after which it was carried upstairs again and put into a dry-kiln about 20 x 20 feet in size, the grain being on screens exposed to the heat coming from below. The dry malt was crushed and ground between iron rollers turned by hand. Later on a steam engine supplied the required power. Mr. Rebscher had this brewery until about 1855, when he moved to Frederick Street on Spetz Street.
Sheriff Davidson bought the shed and converted it into two stores. One of these was occupied by Conrad Schmidt who sold wines, liquors, groceries and hardware. Yost Kimmel had a meat shop under the stores.
Next came an open space and a well and next to that a building which was used 1830 to 1835 as a church by a body known as Mifferites whose main article of belief was that the world was coming to an end in 1835. Many of the Millerites, faithful to their belief, sold their properties and household effects. The building was about 1840 occupied by Paul Schmidt, as the Farmer's Inn already spoken of.
Next came an alleyway and next to that William Moore's general store. Mr. Moore's residence was next to his store. Later on it had a clock factory on the second floor for a short time Next came a three-story building erected in 1860 and next to that no building for a long time until the Boehmer Block was erected. This had a clock factory on the second floor for a short time. Next came a building occupied by Mr. Hymmen, erected between 1850 and 1855. The building was painted a buff color and occupied as a bakery. In 1860, E. R. Hayne had a bakery and confectionery store in the Hymmen building. Next came a two-story frame building located on the site of the westerly half of the present Post Office and occupied by William, David and Frederick Miller as the first general store in Berlin. The location was opposite the end of Frederick Street. J. F. Kannengieser had a tailor shop and was also dealer in fancy goods in this building at one time. In 1860 Mr. and Mrs. John Albright occupied part of the building as a dressmaking and millinery shop. Later on Mr. Rooke had a lock and gunsmith shop on the street floor while his family lived above. There was a high board fence on the Benton Street line with balsam trees planted along the inside.
REMINISCENCES OF BERLIN (NOW KITCHENER) By JACOB STROH Contributed by Joseph M. Snyder.
Part I. Settlement - Early Villagers and Buildings, Waterloo Historical Society Annual Volume 1930
- [S7] News - ON, Waterloo, Kitchener - Berliner Journal (1859-1917), 10 Jan 1867.
David Miller died 29 Dec 1866 near Dundee, 70 yrs.
- [S213] Cemetery - ON, Waterloo, Wilmot - Rosebank Community CC#4565 Internet Link.
In / memory of / David Millar / who died Dec 29 1866 / aged / 70 years 1 mo & 9 d's / Native of Dundee / Scotland
- [S9] News - ON, Waterloo, Kitchener - Canada Museum und Allgemeine Zeitung (1835-1840), 4 Feb 1836:22.
last Friday "In Galt, Rev James Strong m. David Millar, merchant of this village, to Miss Margaret Henderson, of Dumfries".
- [S38] Vit - ON, Waterloo - Wellington District Marriage Register loose sheets, Frederick W. Bindemann, minister of the Evangelical Protestant Lutheran and German Reformed Church at Greenbush, marriages 6 July 1847 to 1 Apr 1848.
Robert Lindsay, gentleman of Wilmot to Margaretha Millar of the same place, married Wilmot Township, witnesses: Angus Cameron, gentleman of Wilmot, David Millar, merchant of the same place
- [S2180] Scotland - Old Parochial Register Extract Form.
Dundee Parish, Forfar, Contracted Parties Alex' Millar Mercht. and Janet Gourlay daughter of Willm. Gourlay both in this parish married 22 Mar 1790
- [S507] Church Records - ON, Waterloo, Galt - First United Presbyterian.
David MILLAN, married Marg't HENDERSON. 29 Jan. 1836, Dumfries. Witnesses John HENDERSON and John SCOTT
|Born - CALC 20 Nov 1796 - , Dundee, Scotland
|Occupation - merchant - 1836 - Galt (Cambridge), Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada
|Married - 30 Jan 1836 - Galt (Cambridge), Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada
|Residence - 1848 - Wilmot Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada
|Died - 29 Dec 1866 - near New Dundee, Ontario
|Buried - - Rosebank Community Cemetery, Wilmot Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada