Waterloo Region Generations
A record of the people of Waterloo Region, Ontario.
Rev. Albert R. Schultz

Rev. Albert R. Schultz[1]

Male 1843 - Yes, date unknown

Personal Information    |    Media    |    Notes    |    Sources    |    Event Map    |    All    |    PDF

  • Name Albert R. Schultz 
    Prefix Rev. 
    Born 27 May 1843  Eylan, Prussia, Germany Find all individuals with events at this location  [2, 3, 4, 5
    Gender Male 
    Interesting religion, story 
    Immigration 1873  , Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  [2
    Immigration 1873  , Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  [5
    Occupation 1873  Preston (Cambridge), Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  [3
    Lutheran Minister 
    Occupation 1874  Logan Twp., Perth Co., Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  [1
    Lutheran Pastor 
    Residence 1874  Logan Twp., Perth Co., Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  [1
    Occupation 1879  Saint James Evangelical Lutheran Church - St. Jacobs, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location 
    minister 
    Occupation 1881  Woolwich Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  [4
    Minister 
    Naturalization 1890  [2
    Naturalization 1897  , Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  [5
    Occupation 1901  Elmira, Woolwich Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  [2
    Clergyman 
    Occupation 1911  Elmira, Woolwich Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  [5
    Minister, St. James Church 
    Residence 1911  Elmira, Woolwich Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  [5
    Lutheran 
    Eby ID Number Waterloo-96590 
    Died Yes, date unknown 
    Buried Saint James Anglican Cemetery, Wilmot Township, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Person ID I96590  Generations
    Last Modified 12 May 2024 

    Father Frederick Schultz,   b. Abt 1813, Of, Eylan, Prussia, Germany Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Yes, date unknown 
    Mother Auguste,   b. Abt 1813, Of, Eylan, Prussia, Germany Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Yes, date unknown 
    Family ID F23444  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

    Family Louisa Bresch,   b. 18 May 1852, Waterloo Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Yes, date unknown 
    Married 30 Jun 1874  Preston (Cambridge), Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  [1, 3
    Children 
     1. Emanual Schultz,   b. 1875, , Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Yes, date unknown
     2. Albert Schultz,   b. 9 Jul 1875, Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Yes, date unknown
     3. Dr. Albert Schultz,   b. 22 Dec 1880, , Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 20 Dec 1914  (Age 33 years)
    Last Modified 13 May 2024 
    Family ID F24900  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

  • Photos
    Rev. Albert R. Schultz 1903
    Rev. Albert R. Schultz 1903

  • Notes 
    • St. Paul's Evangelical Lutheran Church

      It is believed that a congregation was formed in the 1850s and that services were held in the Free Church, Bridgeport (built in 1848) prior to 1861 when the congregation's first pastor, the Rev. Jacob Hoelsche (1861-1873), began his ministry. The congregation was regularly organized at that time. Services and Sunday School continued to be held in the Free Church. Rev. Hoelsche was followed by Revs. J.L. Rau (1876-1878) and A.R. Schultz (1878-1882) who were from Elmira, and by Rev. Immanuel Wurster from Preston, 1882-1887.

      A church was built at 606 Lancaster Street in 1889; consecration of the new building was held on July 22, 1889. The congregation was on the Conestogo-Breslau Circuit at the time. The church was enlarged considerably in 1939 with basement renovations and the construction of an addition to the back of the church. Dedication for this major task was on October 1, 1939.

      The 80th Anniversary of the founding of the organization of the congregation was celebrated on October 19, 1941 with the dedication of a new entrance to the church. Land on Waterloo Road (now Bridgeport Road) was purchased in 1949, with plans to build a newer and larger church. It was not until May 27, 1956 that a ground-breaking ceremony was held to signal the beginning of construction of the new church. The cornerstone was laid July 15, 1956, and on March 31, 1957 the new church was offically opened and consecrated by Dr. A.G. Jacobi, President of the Canada Synod. Final services had been held in the old church one week before, on March 24, 1957. (The old church building had been advertised for sale on February 9, 1957.)

      According to Eylands (1945: 92) the church at one time was joined in a parish with St. James in St. Jacobs, and St. Matthew's, Conestogo. Of interest: The hand which was on the steeple of the old church is now on the former Freeport United Church which was relocated in 1962 to Doon Heritage Crossroads.

      Waterloo County Churches A Research Guide To Churches Established Before 1900 By Rosemary Ambrose

      ___________________

      Linwood - St. Peter's Lutheran Church Begun: 1873

      The present congregation dates back to 1873 and was made up of members who had split earlier from the Missouri Synod congregation in Linwood, St. John's Lutheran Church. The new congregation held services in an old block church several miles from Linwood until a church was built in 1885, and consecrated in the fall of that year by the pastor, Rev. H. Petschke (1884-1887). Rev. A.R. Schultz of St. James, Elmira administered to St. Peter's from 1889-1899; Rev. H. Rembe was pastor from 1901-1904.
      The present-day red brick building was built in 1904 on John Street North while Rev. Rembe was pastor; dedication services were held on October 18, 1905. At about the same time the Linwood congregation voted to join the Canada Synod and called their own pastor, Rev. Paul Kleine. The congregation became self-supporting in 1909. The church currently is in a parish with St. John's, near Bamberg.

      Waterloo County Churches A Research Guide To Churches Established Before 1900 By Rosemary Ambrose

      ______________________

      St. James Evangelical Lutheran Church - Elmira Begun: 1850

      An Evangelical Lutheran congregation, known at first as the North Woolwich Evangelical Lutheran Congregation, was organized in 1850. Land was purchased in Elmira and a small log building, completed December 25, 1857, became the first church. The first sermon had been preached on Easter Sunday, 1852 by the Rev. Jacob Werth (1852-1859). He was followed by Revs H.W.H. Wichmann (1859-1860), C.F.A. Kaessmann (1861-1867) and J.L. Rau (1868-1870). Plans were made soon after the arrival of Rev. Rau on April 16, 1868 for a new and larger church. Construction of the new white brick church was begun in the Spring of 1869. The cornerstone was laid on July 1st and the church was completed and dedicated on December 19, 1869. A parsonage was purchased in 1879. Property was purchased for a cemetery on the Guelph Road in 1884; additional land was acquired in 1910.

      The congregation became self-supporting with its own full-time pastor in 1905. Rev. A.R. Schultz, who began his ministry to St. James on January 9, 1879, was pastor at that time and was to continue to serve the congregation until his death in November 1911. Two years after the arrival of Rev. J. Strempfer on March 17, 1912, discussions began regarding a newer and larger church. The final service was held in the old church on April 26, 1914 and the next day its removal began. The cornerstone for the new church was laid on July 12, 1914, services began in the basement on November 29th, and on May 9, 1915 the present church was dedicated. English services were held as early as 1917 but it was not until January, 1935 that they were preached on a regular basis - every other Sunday. In 1939 German language services were discontinued. Continued growth of the congregation and lack of sufficient space resulted in a large addition in 1962-1963 of the Christian Education wing and Parish Hall. Dedication of the new complex was in June 1963. (The datestone on the church reads: "St. Jacobus Ev. Luth. Kirche 1914".)

      Waterloo County Churches A Research Guide To Churches Established Before 1900 By Rosemary Ambrose

      ____________________________

      St. James Evangelical Lutheran Church Begun: 1864

      The congregation was organized in 1864, and met in the schoolhouse, which is located behind the present church. The cornerstone for a new church was laid on May 21, 1866 and the brick church which was built adjoining the school, was dedicated on August 22, 1866. Land was purchased for a cemetery in 1868. Rev. Daniel Stahlschmidt was the first pastor. The congregation had become part of the Elmira Parish as of December 1865 and this association remained until 1905 when the congregation was joined with Conestogo. Rev. A.R. Schultz of St. James, Elmira had been pastor to the St. Jacobs congregation from 1879 until this time. A parish hall was built in 1905 and in 1918 the church was enlarged - a tower and main entrance were built.
      Land was purchased in 1956 on the north side of the church and on August 13, 1961 the ground breaking service for a new church was held. Construction began immediately and the final service was held in the old church on November 18, 1961. Dedication services for the new church were held on May 27, 1962. The congregation celebrated the church's 125th Anniversary on September 8, 1991.

      Waterloo County Churches A Research Guide To Churches Established Before 1900 By Rosemary Ambrose

      __________________

      Rev. A. R. Schulz, who has been pastor of St. James Lutheran Church nearly 25 years, was born at Eylau, Prussia, Germany. He prepared for the ministry at Hamburg and Berlin, Germany, and subsequently became Director of the Orphans Home at Bromberg, Prussia, which was connected with a Mission Station for the Jews, and from 1866 - 1868 was assistant to Dr. Koppel, in this work. From 1868 - 70 he was City Missionary at Berlin, Germany. From 1870 - 73 he acted as instructor of the Candidates to the Gospel Ministry in the Institution known as "Raubes Haus" at Horn, the suberb [sic] of Hamburg. This Institution was founded by the late Dr. J. Wichern, the celebrated pioneer of the "Innere Mission," and subsequent Minister of the Interior. Rev. Schulz was a member of the supreme church Council of the State Church of the Kingdom of Prussia. He was sent to Canada as minister of the Gospel to serve the Germans here. He accepted a call from the Ev. Luth. St. Peter's Church, at Logan, Perth County, where he labored as Pastor from 1873 to 1879 [1878?]. In January 1879 he came to Elmira, where he has labored with success and great acceptability to his congregation. For a number of years he was President of the Canadian Lutheran Synod.

      Enterprising Elmira Souvenir, An historical, descriptive, and illustrated Book of the Village of Elmira, Waterloo County, Ontario, Canada, published by George Klinck, 1903.

  • Sources 
    1. [S7] News - ON, Waterloo, Kitchener - Berliner Journal (1859-1917), 9 Jul 1873.
      30 Jun 1874 By Pastor Wurster in Preston, Albert Schulz, luth. Pastor in Logan Township, was maried to Louisa Presch of Waterloo.

    2. [S161] Census - ON, Waterloo, Elmira - 1901, Elmira (Village) B. Page 12.

    3. [S4] Vit - ON - Marriage Registration, 9713-74.
      Albert SCHULTZ, 31, Lutheran minister, Eylan Prussia, Logan twp., s/o Frederick & Auguste, married Louise PREICH (Presch?), 22, Waterloo twp., same, d/o Andrew & Salome, witn: Rev. Jacob BREZING of Heidelberg & John SCHNEIDER of Waterloo, 30 June 1874 at Preston

    4. [S130] Census - ON, Waterloo, Woolwich - 1881, Div. 2 Page 9.

    5. [S176] Census - ON, Waterloo, Elmira - 1911, Div. 48 Pg. 12.

  • Event Map
    Link to Google MapsImmigration - 1873 - , Ontario, Canada Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsImmigration - 1873 - , Ontario, Canada Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsOccupation - Lutheran Minister - 1873 - Preston (Cambridge), Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsOccupation - Lutheran Pastor - 1874 - Logan Twp., Perth Co., Ontario, Canada Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsResidence - 1874 - Logan Twp., Perth Co., Ontario, Canada Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsMarried - 30 Jun 1874 - Preston (Cambridge), Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsOccupation - minister - 1879 - Saint James Evangelical Lutheran Church - St. Jacobs, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsOccupation - Minister - 1881 - Woolwich Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsNaturalization - 1897 - , Ontario, Canada Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsOccupation - Clergyman - 1901 - Elmira, Woolwich Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsOccupation - Minister, St. James Church - 1911 - Elmira, Woolwich Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsResidence - Lutheran - 1911 - Elmira, Woolwich Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Link to Google Earth
     = Link to Google Earth